Monday, May 30, 2011

Investing In Siler City Bumper Stickers

On the heels of the last post (this design actually came to being last night, the rewards stickers came on it's heels today!), here is another sticker to help remind us all of the importance of supporting locally owned and operated businesses in our community.

I'll actually start by showing my first stab at this last week.

While the message of this is pretty direct and overall positive, its catch phrase/tagline at the bottom has a certain solomn weight to it, that I think is interesting...









Locally Owned Businesses, Ignore them and they will go away came to me a couple of years ago, when our local copy/print shop closed their doors.

As someone who depended on their services quite a bit, this loss of such a business downtown shook me pretty hard, and that is the phrase that popped out of my mouth.

How could we have let this happen? I thought.

Is this too morbid, to scary, to put on a bumper sticker?
I think not.
Siler City is a town I think, that can handle a little bit of grit in its grits...
And I don't think there is much sense in sugar coating the truth.

Perhaps I should deck this one out with a grim reaper?

Well, while I still feel the very same way, while I was working on yet Another sticker, an alternate of of saying this same idea arose...and I kind of like it..








This is still a work in progress, and there are a few things I'd like to change already (like, yes, the green lettering on the bottom). But I do like the general direction it is headed in...

What I am trying encapsulate in the design, I think, is the preciousness of a viable downtown.
It doesn't have to be fricken Broadway. And I wouldn't want it to be. But I think you do want a downtown t to be at least quietly vibrant. Actually, what I think a small town should aim for is to positively "Twinkle"!

Its funny, I just threw that star in there as an afterthought, but now I know what it is doing there...

No comments: