Thursday, August 22, 2013

ZamBamBooGee Poster- Carolina Brewery 2013- Neo Bauhaus Poster Design?...

\

THE MISSION   
    ZamBamBooGee has a gig coming up at a local Brewery (Carolina Brewery), and we needed a poster. So I decided to employ a particular photo that I had taken in Germany last fall, and had been saving for just such an occassion...

THE INSPIRATION

    You can just feel the life giving warmth pouring off of this manhole cover. And I don't know about you, but for me, just looking at it makes me want to sit in a sunny biergarten, and drain a few tall hefewiesen while simultaneously soaking up the sun...

THE APPROACH
     Originally, I had planned to use our normal ZamBamBooGee logo, which features a much more flowing style. And I do think that it would have compimented this earthly sun disk very handsomely, enough so that I might have to use them together in a subsequent design...
    However, in the end, for this poster, I decided to stick with a font that was strictly, yet playfully, German in character- what else but "Bauhaus"?
 (after all, as I can atTEST from OctoberFEST, it is good to see German's enJoying themselves!) 

 
     And indeed, I had a lot of fun playing with the tight radial curves of this font, most notably the circular motif that its period provided, which harmonzed well with the design of the manhole cover. This became especially fun in placing these dots before and after the "ZamBamBooGee" at the top, playing with the black dot motif that the manhole cover's negative spaces provided. Every ting seemed to be lining up according to plan...Black holes, sun disks, manhole covers...."Zis ees sownding like a bik cosmic ting to me, ja?"

(please not the diagonal sequence of 3 yellow dots extending from the top right corner down and across to the bottom left corner. Zis ees zee geshtalt ofe ein "Z", ja? 

All in all, I feel like this is a pretty subtly succinct poster graphic, one that my more Germanic forbearers would nod at approvingly ;)     

\

No comments: