Sunday, March 18, 2012

Photo Documentary Work- A Different Drum @ Old Havana Sandwhich Shop

For the past year, I have been working to expand my offerings as a 'graphic diplomat', into the realm of Photography. This is a medium that I have always enjoyed (particularly in High School and College), I think because it allows for the possibility for spontaneous visual interaction between the artist and with the world around him/her.

This Saturday, I was presented with a spectacular, if challenging, opportunity, to document the performance of an old Durham friend, Alex Weiss, and his band, A Different Drum, performing at a new Durham venue, "The Old Havana Cafe and Sandwhich Shop", newly opened on E. Main St..

The ancient building is really exquisite, and so is what they have done with it.
With some really nice accents, like potted palms, wall sconces etc, set among elegent marble, this created a dynamic setting for A Different Drum's Music, which can best be described as an Afro-Latin Chamber Ensemble.

The challenge of this scene, of course, was that it was a low light situation (at night). And I have not yet really invested in the technical ability's, or equipment to work around this obstacle, without a flash, which I generally detest.

The main risk, of course, is blurryness, which I could have overcome with a tripod (which I might need to permanently pack in my trunk!).

What follows are a few shots from the evening. This is not high quality photography, but its a start!

An intense conversation between musicians!


Lights winding down a stair rail, and a car on the street,
provided an intriguing composition 

Conga Line!

Earlier that day, I had made my way to the Durham Public Library, to witness the first ever public performance of Alex with Columbian Harpist, Pavelito. I am quite proud to say that I had a hand in this devine collaboration, when I discovered Pavelito's music on Nicky and Justin's inspired Muse Productions website. I instantly knew that this would be a good match, and sure enough, no sooner had I pointed Alex his way, they were getting together, and making plans!

Soul Brothers, Alex and Pavelito 


The Lovely Li-Lan
I also got to do some video documenting of the event, using Don Bryan's superior equipment.
This is quickly becoming my dharma at many friend's musical performances, which I don't mind at all!
Again, this particular setting provided many rich tableaus in which to view this visually and auraliy dynamic group! I wish that my photos showed more of this!

No comments: